Monday 13 May 2013

My egg collection

This morning I had my egg collection!  I was the first appointment today so everything was running on time.  I have felt a little delicate and a bit sick since the collection but other than that I'm ok.  I haven't had to take any painkillers.

Here's how things went.....

The nurse gave me pethidine, a suppository and a warm bag to put over my hand prior to going into theatre.  Once in theatre the nurses there attached a canular to my hand so that they could administer my antibiotics while my eggs were being collected.  My legs were apart & strapped down in stirrups and I had to lay on my back.  I was pretty much covered up so I didn't feel too exposed.  I met the embryologist before things started too.

My collection started with a wash, like kind of warm water and then the consultant inserted a smear-type speculum into me and wiped around a bit.  Next the long tube with the needle on the end was inserted and the fluid was sucked out of my follicles in each ovary.   Felt a sharp pain as the needle entered each ovary but that only lasted for about 2 seconds.  Apart from little sharp pains that lasted literally a few seconds I was pretty comfortable.

My egg collection lasted about 20 minutes and at the end the consultant said I had 16 eggs!  I'm really happy with that.  I had 12 collected for my treatment to have Posey and I'm 2.5 years older so it's a good result!

This afternoon the embryologist and her team will be washing and concentrating the 'sample' Buzz did and analysing my eggs ready to choose the best ones to perform ICSI with.  Overnight we have to keep our fingers and toes crossed for some fertilisation!

After collection I was taken back to my room and the nurse took my blood pressure, which was fine.  I felt a bit dizzy and wobbly, which could just have been because I hadn't eaten more than 12 hours! The nurse said it was normal.  She then brought me a nice cheese sandwich and a cup of tea - very welcome!

Buzz and I were then left to chill out and read while I recovered and then an hour later the nurse removed my canular and I got dressed.  I was bleeding lightly, which is also very normal.

Next Buzz and I went to the pharmacy department to collect some crinone pessaries.  Basically they are progesterone supplements that you squirt into you every evening.  They help to prepare your uterus for pregnancy.  After using them each evening you have to keep moving for 15-20 minutes so the crinone can spread itself around!

I really missed Posey today.  I last saw her awake at 7pm last night and then didn't see her until 4.15 this afternoon as she was still asleep when Buzz and I left the house at 6.40am today.  She was having a nap when we got home at lunchtime and I was so shattered I went for a 2 hour nap too so by the time I woke up Buzz had gone out with her & my mum, as my mum had been looking after her today.  She'd been as good as gold apparently!  Posey gave me a very big hug when they got home :)

I still feel a bit delicate now but hopefully after a nice light omelette for my dinner and an early night I'll be on form tomorrow.  I was last time so I'm hoping this time will be the same.

x




No comments:

Post a Comment