Tuesday 4 March 2014

Peaches is 3 weeks old!

Wow! So it's been a month since I last blogged but boy have I been busy....  Posey is upstairs fast asleep having come home from preschool early with a sicky bug & Peaches is having a nap next to me right now.

I'm writing to tell you all about my new beautiful baby daughter, Peaches, here & I will also write about how things have been for my new family increasing from 3 of us to 4 shortly.

So! Peaches Lula Carvalho arrived 8 days after my due date on 10 Feb after a labour that lasted just 2 hours.  Posey arrived in under 2 hours so I'd been hoping for another quick labour.  We'd had a nice quiet family day at home and travelled up to the delivery suite as soon as I felt something happening. We'd been advised to do that because Posey had arrived so quickly.  On arrival the midwife examined me & I was 8cm dilated & having contractions every 3 minutes lasting around 1 minute 30 seconds.  I got into the birthing pool & spent around an hour in there using the warm water as my pain relief before feeling the need to push.  I decided to give birth on the bed rather than the water & after only about 20 minutes of pushing Peaches was here! I had no pain relief other than the water & a few puffs of Entonox (which didn't really help!). I felt in control right the way through & it was lovely to give birth in a dimly lit room, with our music on and just the midwife, Buzz & me.  

Peaches cried straight away & it was just amazing to hear her cry.  She weighed 7lb 9oz & was absolutely perfect.  Thankfully I didn't need any stitches & I was able to get up off the bed easily. Having had Posey 5 weeks early, who was taken straight up to SCBU, & suffered a second degree tear having Peaches was exactly the birth experience I'd longed for.  The midwife gave the three of us plenty of quality time together while we got to know eachother.  I gave a Peaches her first feed but then switched to bottles & formula, as planned.  As it was 3am by that point Peaches & I spent the rest of the night on the ward rather than come straight home & risk waking Posey, who was fast asleep at home, being looked after by her grandma.

The morning after Peaches & I were discharged quickly and Buzz drove us home.  Apart from my thighs feeling like I'd done an extra hard gym session I felt completely normal! I felt so different to how I felt having given birth to Posey, despite Peaches weighing 2lb 8oz more!

It was lovely to get home & see Posey.  The feeling that the 4 of us were home together was just amazing.  

The rest of our first week together was lovely.  Peaches fed well & only lost 2oz in weight in her first 5 days :) my milk came in of course & was damn painful for 3 days while i waited for it to go again.  I absolutely don't regret my decision to not breastfeed this time having had such horrible experiences with it after Posey was born.  Peaches is thriving on formula and it all works for me, so we're both happy.

My 4 stone pregnancy weight gain is disappearing too.  I lost 2 stone in the 7 days following Peaches' birth and have lost another stone since then so I just have 1 stone to go.  I'm eating very healthily & am being very active doing lots with my 2 beautiful girls. There's no chance of sitting still for long for me!!  I'll start seeing my personal trainer in 2 weeks so that will help me to feel nice and toned again.  My old skinny jeans don't quite fit yet but I can get them on & secure them with a hairband across the button so they're fine worn with nice wedge heels, a loose top & a cardi - my standard mum uniform haha!

Posey & Peaches are very very alike.  It's pretty scary looking at pictures of them both as babies actually.  They could easily pass for twins.  They have the same button noses, long eyelashes, lots of dark hair & olive skin.  I think they're beautiful but I'm biased of course.  Peaches loves sleeping, as did Posey, and Posey loves being a big sister.  It's lovely.

More soon....x


No comments:

Post a Comment