Tuesday 4 February 2014

40+2 weeks pregnant!

So my due date arrived 2 days ago.....and passed with nothing happening! I know a lot of mums get to their due date & feel a bit fed up & deflated.  I have to say I felt delighted!!!! Having only got to 35 weeks with Posey I just felt like I'd achieved something massive and I felt so proud of my body for being able to carry my baby for the full 40 weeks after all.  It was a very nice feeling.

I have been putting operation 'evict baby from the premises' into action in an attempt to avoid some of the more uncomfortable things that come after your due date passes - things like membrane sweeps & possible induction of labour.  I've been walking lots (with Posey on her scooter), I've been having acupuncture and reflexology, I've been drinking lots of raspberry leaf tea and I've been guzzling pineapple.  Sex hurts, as does crawling around on all fours scrubbing floors, but boy have I gone for it.

I still feel really energetic & have been having a good balance of sleep, chill out time and active time.  Posey and I have been doing things like drawing, going to the park, all of her usual clubs & we've been having play dates.  I feel like I'm making the most of my time.  The baby's bedroom is completely ready and I have a freezer full of home cooked meals!  The house is spotless & organised and I guess I feel ready for Go Go Go!

As I'm now over 40 weeks & the baby is measuring over average size-wise my midwife is keen to help get things started.  With me being only 5'3" and petite delivering a big baby could be tricky so I had a membrane sweep yesterday.  My cervix was a little hard to reach at first but my midwife managed it and was able to complete the sweep, even feeling the baby's head! It was uncomfortable but not at all painful, so wasn't as bad as I'd read beforehand.  I bled a little bright red blood afterwards and had cramping, both of which are very normal.  The cramping stopped overnight and I slept really well though.

So today I'm playing the waiting game! I understand around 50% of sweeps result in labour starting within 48 hours so we will see which 50% I fall into.  If nothing has happened by Thursday I'll have another sweep that day.  If still nothing, a third sweep on Monday when I would be 41+1weeks!

I feel good though, I'm by no means uncomfy, struggling to sleep or achy.  I just feel normal but with a huge baby bump.  I can't imagine feeling fed up given how fortunate I am to be having baby number 2 after years of infertility.

Right, back to evicting baby now.  Hopefully I'll have news soon!
x




No comments:

Post a Comment