Wednesday 12 June 2013

'Baby Brain' My theory...!

A lot of mums (and dads) I know joke about 'baby brain' (BB) and how their memories and abilities to do certain things just aren't as good as before they became parents.  I have to include myself in this as these days I rely on many little to do lists - on paper, in my iPhone, on the calendar, etc etc.  some days if I don't write it down I'll forget it even happened!

So why do we fall victim to baby brain? I'll give you my theory....

1. Before I fell pregnany with Posey I only really had myself to think about.  I could get up at the last minute and race to get ready for work, focus on work all day and then do as I pleased in the evenings.  Some nights I'd see my personal trainer, or I'd do a Pilates class or I might go and meet some friends after work for dinner.  I could be flexible.  My agenda was only mine.  Buzz did the same.  We didn't know how much flexibility we had! Now I still want to do all those things but my mind is on Posey all the time.  If she's at home I'm planning trips out, entertainment in the house, her meals and making sure she's happy.  If she's at nursery I'm thinking about what she's up to, who she's playing with, what she's had to eat, how many hours until I collect her.  She is my world and whatever else I'm trying to do, thinking about her takes over.

2. Looking after children can be unpredictable.  Posey loves a trip to the shops and is usually happy to sit in her pushchair or be on little life rucksack with reins.  However sometimes we have to stop what we're doing and go to the park or the library so she can do what she wants to do for a while before we carry on.  She's not yet 2 so she doesn't yet understand that sometimes you have to put up & shut up!  I've always been quite an organised person and when I need to do something I like to focus on that thing like I'm on a mission! Breaking off to do something else throws me and I can't remember what I was in the middle of doing!

3. Hormones! I know many girls who have been through fertility treatment will agree with me when I say the hormone surges that you experience whie having treatment are immense and at times are very difficult to understand and cope with.  Likewise, through pregnancy your body goes through a lot of hormonal changes and that can do strange things to you - mood swings, hot flushes, tiredness, tearyness etc etc.  Not easy to manage and those things can overpower you, making your day to day life harder than usual.

That's my baby brain theory in a nutshell!  Tell me your thoughts on it too.

x

No comments:

Post a Comment