Saturday 11 May 2013

The day I take my IVF trigger injection!

So today is Trigger day!  The clinic called me this afternoon to confirm I needed to take my trigger injection tonight for egg collection on Monday!

The instructions I have are to take my current dose of down reg drugs at 6.45pm (normal time) and then take my Ovitrelle (the trigger injection) at 10pm tonight so egg collection can take place at 10am on Monday.  The trigger injection gets the mature eggs right to the ideal state before collection.  I have set the alarm on my phone for 10pm tonight (not that I think I'll forget come 10pm for a second!)

The clinic gave me some other instructions too.  Very similar to last time.  The night before EC I can't eat after midnight and I can't even have water after 7am.  I need to pack my dressing gown and slippers and wear no make up or jewellery.

Buzz and I need to be there for 7.30am on Monday to be in theatre for 9.30am.  Between 7.30 and 9.30am the nurses will get me settled in and talk me through what's going to happen, ensure I understand everything and get me all ready for the big event.  I'll also meet the consultant who will be doing my egg collection.  Buzz will also have to do his 'sample.'

Having had egg collection before and read up lots about it to refresh my memory in short they insert a catheter style tube inside you & suck the eggs out into little test tubes one by one.  The more eggs you have the longer it takes.  At my last scan I had 19.  On egg collection when we conceived Posey I had 12 collected.  I really hope we get a good number on Monday.  Once all the eggs have been collected the embryologists then mix the (washed and concentrated) sperm in with the eggs and everyone keeps their fingers and toes crossed for fertilisation of at least 1 egg.  We only got 1 last time.  It was a good one mind.  She is currently sitting in her highchair eating grapes!

This time we are having IVF with ICSI.  The was recommended to us as last time only 1 egg out of 12 fertilised.  They expect around 70% of your eggs to fertilise so we were well below that.  Hence the need for ICSI this time.  During ICSI they select 1 god egg and 1 good sperm and inject the sperm straight into the egg.  If there are a number of good eggs they will do this with each one.

How do I feel?
Scared, excited, hopeful, and fortunate to have got this far to quote a few words.  I also feel very bloated!!!! But then I have round 19 eggs inside me, most measuring 15mm +!!  I don't even feel hungry but I will eat as I'm trying to have lots of protein, iron and water.

Right, time for some dinner and then onwards to injection time!

x


No comments:

Post a Comment