Thursday 23 January 2014

10 days until my due date!

Hurray for having a baby!

As I type, I am just 10 days away from my due date.  What a lovely feeling! It'll only be a matter of days until I get to meet my second beautiful baby girl.

At 38+4 weeks today I am more than 3 weeks past the point at which Posey was born and I feel like the anxiety I felt over having another early baby & potentially spending time in SCBU / NICU has gone.  I feel pretty chilled, excited and pretty good.  I saw my community midwife this week and she said my baby is very, very engaged so she could literally arrive at any time.  I do feel like I'm carrying a basketball around now, as walking can be a little uncomfy.  I feel like I'm going to wet myself every time I walk somewhere! There's a serious amount of weight on my pelvic floor now so I'm hoping at some point soon the pressure will break my waters and then labour will swiftly follow! The ideal time for my baby to arrive is between now & 40 weeks really.  My dates are so accurate and I feel like going past 40wks would just increase the risk of me having a baby who's too big for me, and therefore may require an assisted birth, plus I'm aware the risk of stillbirth does increase marginally over 40wks aswell.

I had a little scan last week and I understand my baby already weighed around 7lb, so that will be more like 7 and a half pounds this week and 8lb by next week.  If I was to go over my dates by 12 days, which is the policy in Hertfordshire before induction, she could be close to 9lb! That's one big baby for me. I'm only 5ft 3 and the most I've ever weighed outside pregnancy is 8st.  On a curvy day I'm a size 8.  I want a straightforward water birth this time without the risk of requiring forceps, ventouse, epidural, c section etc.  You can never exclude anything happening, but I think you can plan your ideal birth and try and eliminate risks where possible.

I've learnt to nap on demand in recent weeks.  Posey has been a little tinker.  She's slept through the night for 12+ hours since she was 3 months old but has recently started waking around 5am, having only slept for 10 hours! She won't nap in the daytime now so somehow she 'so been managing on about 10 hours sleep! At 38+ weeks pregnant it's been a little hard as at times she 'so been grumpy and I've been tired but thankfully I've napped well while she's been at preschool and last night she slept until 6.15am, so I really hope we've had a breakthrough! @blissfulbabyexpert (Lisa) gave me some good advice around being firm, consistent & using a gro clock. I hope she'll be sleeping at least 7-7 again soon.

Everything for the baby is ready at home, Buzz is ready for some time off work and I'm looking forward to having the baby! Everything feels good :) x









No comments:

Post a Comment