Tuesday 26 March 2013

Our IVF consultation - finally!!

Well, although I say 'finally' I do feel quite lucky as we only booked our consultation 6 weeks ago.  We get no NHS funding to conceive our second child so we just went straight to the clinic.  Last time, with Posey we had 2.5 years of NHS fertility tests, including painful internal scans, lots of blood tests (good job blood replenishes itself otherwise I'd have run out!), clomid for 3 months, follicle tracking scans and finally a diagnosis of PCOS.  I guess this time we know the deal so it's straight to the clinic!

So, we had our consultation today with a very nice lady, who was our consultant last time.  She put us at ease and asked lots of nice questions about Posey.  That really helped me to 'hold it together.' As I had been feeling teary all the way there and while they were running 40 minutes late....  The consultant informed us that as we only had 1 embryo from 12 eggs collected last time (hurray - the 'one' was a good one as it's Posey!) she recommended ICSI this time rather than IVF.  We said ok (that'll be another £900 then....) then we went through all the questions like "how many embryos would you like transferring back into you?" and "are you happy to freeze embryos?"  God knows! Let's see how many we get and then decide.  One step at a time.....

Then off we went for our bloods and the dreaded semen assessment.  All of which thankfully, came back ok.

Quick bit of lunch then home to collect Posey.  Tonight? I am SHATTERED.  Emotionally, physically and mentally.  Way too much thinking for 1 day but that's step 1 done.  Next I need to call the clinic when my period starts so they can arrange my "cycle". I am secretly hoping I'm pregnantm but I know, deep down, that I'm not.  I'm used to that pain every month.  And I'm also used to my mum friends announcing they are pregnant with their second babies.  Perhaps that'll be me soon.....

No comments:

Post a Comment